Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Epic Expedition


"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."         - Eleanor Roosevelt
Today is the start of what has been termed The Epic Expedition.
For the next 3 weeks I will be joining a dear friend on the road as we traverse from sea to shining sea of these United States.
To set this up, I must tell you about the pioneer of this journey. Back when I was a youngin’ of 10 years old, my family moved from Florida to Colorado. Soon after, my parents put my 2 younger sisters and I in AWANA at the local Baptist church. It was there that we met Jenine and Leah, our first friends in the new town. My sister Kari and I became best friends with this pair of sisters. There was 4-H, camping, milking cows, irrigating pastures, riding horses, raising sheep, and of course the discovery of boys. All of these things led to outlandish shenanigans for which the stories are endless. Western Colorado was (and still is) the country way of life and we extracted all that we could from it as we grew up together.
Now we are all grown up.
Leah is a helicopter pilot in the Navy and has been based in Virginia Beach, VA for several years.  She has new orders in the Seattle, WA area and has asked me to join her as she moves her life from coast to coast. Leah is one of the most amazing people in my life and it is my pleasure to share this time of transition with her.
So, with 4,120 miles in front of us, we are setting out on the Epic Expedition.
Stay tuned for tales from the road…

No comments: