Thursday, July 24, 2008

22 Minutes

When the alarm on my cell phone prompted me to jump out of my bed this a.m., (the best bed in the whole world I might add) the sun was not shining in my window as it usually is. Instead, it was dark, overcast and pouring down rain.



In my house, I have 2 skylights; one in the kitchen and one in the living room. I’ve never lived in a house with skylights before and they are one of the things that sold me on the place when I first looked at buying it. One of my favorite things to do when it’s raining is to lie on my oversized ottoman in the center of my living room and watch the rain fall on the skylights. I didn’t have time for that today but I did get ready and drive to work in the midst of the deluge.

Driving to work is one odd time of the day that I look forward to. I may not always look forward to work but I like the driving part. It’s a time for me to spend approximately 22 mins. (31 mins. if I stop by Dunkin Donuts on the way) deep in thought when I’m generally well rested and energized. I plug in my ipod and listen to music that fuels my mood. Those 22 to 31 mins. each day set the background for the remainder of my day.

Today, the rain also contributed to my pensive state of mind. Something about the sound of rain that is calming to the hustle of all that goes on in the world. I know rain is most often thought of as the downer, the depressing cold, dark drag but today, the rain was a refreshing change to me.


Tomorrow is certain to be sunny, hot and humid and that will be fine as well but as I crawl into the best bed in the whole world tonight, I have been rejuvenated by the rain.

No comments: