Sunday, January 11, 2009

How Long Is Too Long??

It is now the 2nd full week of January and my house is still clothed in Christmas decor. 
Usually, I promptly dismantle the trimmings the first weekend after New Year's but this year it feels like they only just arrived. It was December 20th when I finally decked the halls this year. Only 4 days before Christmas. 

A couple of years ago, my friends Melissa and Christina, left their tree up until May 1st. That was far too long, in my opinion because as the seasons changed from winter to spring, it still felt like winter in their apartment when greeted by a snowflake clad Christmas tree.

Staring at my twinkling tree tonight, I know it must come down but I don't know where to put it. Normally, I'm a huge fan of the live pine tree but this year, I couldn't afford it AND my sister Kari, gave
 me a fantastic artificial one that stands 9 ft. tall. I love it!! The dilemma is that I have very little storage space in my house and no room for disassembled pieces of a 9 ft. Christmas tree. 

What if I take all the Christmas bulbs off but leave the white lights and make it an "All Year" tree?? I could put pink and red hearts on it for Valentine's Day, then Shamrocks for St. Paddy's Day.  I could put pastel colored plastic eggs on its branches for Easter and red, white and blue streamers for July 4th. For Halloween, I could cover it in spider webs and bats. I could skip Thanksgiving because putting a pilgrim hat on top might cross the line into ghetto but the day after Turkey Day, it would be time for Christmas again. 

Creative solutions, people. I think I've got one. ;-)

2 comments:

carloesse75 said...

A greeting even if we know it. I was online for a web my curiosity, I dwell on his blog, commenting that a good text and beautiful pictures. I apologize for the language unclear, over time I hope to perfect .... thanks! My name is Charles is a guy who writes poems Italian, with a dream in the drawer, open a room in Paris. Greetings forgot .... if he wants to can comment on my poems I would be honored.
thanks Carlo

Anonymous said...

I think that the all year tree is a GREAT idea!! Love it! You would have fun decorating it for each season of holiday. I have a tree in my house- granted it is not a pine tree, but rather a ficus (I think). But it would be the same type thing. Go for it! Enjoy the tree. and better yet... enjoy not having to take it down this year and put it up AGAIN next year!