Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hmmm...

I’ve almost finished reading “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I realize that I must be the last woman in the country to read this book but I had no interest in it whatsoever until recently. I have a friend who read me a few excerpts so I thought I’d check it out. It’s one of those books that I take bits of truth from and leave the rest.

The idea of “soul mates” is something that I still have a lot of questions about but this excerpt from the book made sense to me.

“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that’s holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave. And thank God for it. "


This is just a portion of dialogue from chapter 48 between the author and a friend she met in India discussing a man that she is having a hard time getting over. Without retyping the whole thing, here’s another piece of the dialogue that makes sense.

“David’s purpose was to shake you up…tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light could get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you had to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master and beat it. That was his job, and he did great, but now it’s over.”

1 comment:

hootenannie said...

I totally agree about "Eat Pray Love" - a pleasant read, conversational style that I love, etc. But not my fave. Take some, leave some.

But I LOVE the part that you quoted. I think I've experienced that soul mate, and for as much as I loved him, thank God that we didn't last.