Sunday, September 14, 2008

Some Thoughts From The Weekend

I went to see the movie “The Women”. Didn’t know what it was about or what to expect but I liked it. There’s not one man in the whole movie and although I started to think it was pushing a feminist agenda, by the end, I didn’t feel the same way. There’s so much in this movie in relation to women at different places in life and in different roles. Some women may not get as much out of it, but I certainly did. I want to see it again.

Without doing a review on it, one point has kept me thinking all weekend. The main character’s husband has an affair and as she goes through a process of dealing with that she also takes a look at herself. Near the end of the movie, she is on the phone with her husband and she makes a statement that goes something like this… I take responsibility for my part. I couldn’t give you myself because I didn’t know who I was…

She had gotten lost in being everything to everyone. Her husband’s affair brought her to the realization of who and what was important. She was then able to live out of who she was and not what she thought everyone else wanted her to be.

After the movie, I went out with the girls. I haven’t been out on the town for a couple of months so it was nice to do the hair and make up and get out to feel the beat of New Haven. We stopped by a new restaurant/bar that we hadn’t been to before. It was after 10pm so the Saturday night social scene was buzzin’. As the three of us sat at the bar talking and picking at nachos, I had a thought that I have randomly entertained over the past 2 years.

“I should be a bartender.”

I looked around at the people packed into this establishment. They all sang along with Eddie Money…”Take me home tonight, I don’t want to let you go till you see the light, take me home tonight…” Shoulder to shoulder, many different ages and types of people connected, if only on a surface level. I wondered about their stories.

I zoned out momentarily while I jumped on the ‘what-if-I-was-a-bartender’ train of thought. It would push me out of my comfort zone in ways that I may not experience any other way. The introvert that I am, would only be able to handle about two or three nights a week of mass amounts of intoxicated people in my face. But maybe I should do it for 6 months. It could be something to stretch me, give me a different perspective and teach me about people. My life may never again be in such a place that would allow me such an opportunity, the way that I am right now. The more I thought about it, the more I could see myself doing it. Not forever and not as a full time job but as a way of expanding myself.

I didn’t ask for a job application on my way out of the bar (haha…that’s a funny visual…walking out of a packed bar with a job app) but I left with the beginning of an idea and a seed of possibility. I’m going to consider it a little more seriously and look for open doors. Maybe I will and maybe I won’t but maybe I should.


These were my thoughts from this weekend.

No comments: